Thursday, February 7, 2008

Stapler of the Week Archive- Rexel No 560 Beaver

Rexel No 560 Beaver off-white, grey and chrome finish

When my wife and I first moved to New York, I came across this stapler while enjoying the hospitality of friends. I sheepishly asked if they would allow me to feature it in the Stapler of the Week and the next time I saw them, they donated it to the collection. Since then, I have been trying to find more information on this, the first English stapler featured.

Like Swingline, Rexel is the English stapler brand that falls under the ACCO corporate umbrella. I imagine that Rexel too was a company unto itself before becoming a subsidiary. Rexel staplers have numbers to identify them such as the No 560 above, but they also had nicknames like Beaver, Gazelle and Bambi. The newer Rexel model names seem to draw from astronomic or mythological sources. Perhaps these names help the English bond with their staplers as they possibly did in the states (Tatum T-155 "Little Buddy".) It's certainly enabled me to get to know the No 560 and perhaps in time I'll know it well enough to refer to it by it's nickname.

Excerpt from the Stapler of the Week, February 7, 2008.

No comments: